372 – Tagine of Meatballs and Eggs / طاجن البيض وكرات اللحم
Let’s make one of the most famous Moroccan tagines: Tagine of meatballs cooked in a spiced tomato sauce and topped with eggs!
- 1/4 lb. (150g) Ground beef or lamb (or a combination of the two)
- 1/4 of Medium onion, chopped very fine
- 1 teaspoons Paprika, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (to taste)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (or parsley)
TOMATO SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- 2 lbs. (1 kg) fresh, ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/4 of Medium onion, very finely chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin 1 1/2 teaspoon salt (more for taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 large eggs
Step 1 – Preparing the Meat:
1- In a large bowl, combine all the kefta (meat) ingredients and mix well.
2- Cover and let the meat rest for 30 minutes while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
Step 2 – Preparing the Tomato Sauce:
1- Cut the tomatoes in half and grate them using the large ‘holes’ of the grater. Discard the skin.
2- In a large and deep sauce pan, drizzle the olive oil and heat on medium heat for a 30 seconds.
3- Add the minced garlic, chopped onion, and the grated tomatoes.
4- Add the spices (listed for the tomatoe sauce) and 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
5- Mix and cook on medium heat for around 20-25 minutes before adding the meat balls. Stir with a wooden spoon from time to time, to make sure that the bottom does not burn. The goal is to get a thick tomato sauce at the end.